Saturday, December 13, 2008

Spirit is a Comic Rookie

Sci Fi Wire had the chance to interview Gabriel Macht, who will be donning the mask and red tie for the holiday hero film, "The Spirit." In the interview, Macht explained how he had never read any "Spirit" comics before.

“I went out and bought ‘The Best of The Spirit,’ which has the color versions of the old comics,” said Macht in the Sci Fi Wire story. “When I came to visit with Frank, he said, ‘So, what have you done?’ And I said, ‘Well, I’ve immersed myself in The Best of…’ He goes, ‘No, no, no, no. I’m not a fan of the coloring that they did for those comics. Let me give you my picks.’ So he gave me a massive binder of his favorite Will Eisner work, but all in black and white.”

Macht immersed himself into the comic history of "The Spirit" and also into the legendary writer, Will Eisner.

“I was not familiar with ["The Spirit" creator] Will Eisner, but as soon as I did my research I found that he is a legend in the world of comic books and graphic novels, and I think it was he who invented the term ‘graphic novel,’” related Macht. “He was one of the great innovators of the genre.”

How do you feel about Macht being a comic rookie and taking on the role of "The Spirit?"
Read the rest of the interview here!

No comments: