Friday, December 12, 2008

Rorschach


MTV News had the chance to talk with Jackie Earle Haley, who is playing the role of the vigilante hero Rorschach in the upcoming "Watchmen" film.

For most actors and actresses who play heroes (or even villains), putting on the costume can be a real power trip. Haley remarks on how he felt on wearing the costume and being Rorschach.

“I remember one of the first days on the set there was a big 18 K light up behind [me],” recalled Haley, “and it was at the cemetery, and I’m getting ready to walk over to the grave, and [director] Zack [Snyder]’s calling roll and I looked down and there’s Rorschach’s shadow from that 18 K light just perfectly on the ground — and it’s me. I feel like I’m inside the graphic novel and I’m seeing Rorschach’s silhouette but I’m not just seeing Rorschach’s silhouette, I’m seeing my silhouette and it’s Rorschach’s! It was just wonderfully empowering.”

In the new trailer and Comic-Con 2008 clips, the ink blots on Rorschach's mask can be seen moving. The mask and costume have a life on their own and it is truly mesmerizing to watch. Most fanboys are extremely happy over this effect on the mask. Even Haley found it thrilling.

“Oh, I love it,” exclaimed Haley. “There was one thing that I saw a long time ago, it was one of the first tests, where Rorschach jumps up into that window and then the camera goes in for a close-up as he’s looking around…I don’t want to give too much away, but the blots were moving and it was just like, talk about empowering! And actually seeing it on a computer monitor was like, ‘Oh, that’s what’s totally going on with the face, okay cool.’”

"Watchmen" hits theaters March 6, 2009! More news to come! Catch ya' later!

No comments: