Sunday, August 9, 2009

'2012' Last Disaster for Director Roland Emmerich

Roland Emmerich says his upcoming end-of-the-world epic "2012," due out on November 13, will be his final outing in the genre.

Emmerich is the filmmaker behind the death and destruction brought to us in "Independence Day," "Godzilla" and "The Day After Tomorrow."

In "2012" - based on interpretations of the Mayan calendar that claim the world will end that year - humanity clings on for survival as the earth's crust collapses and leads to gigantic tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.

The 53-year-old German director recently told USA Today: "This is the biggest movie I've done so far. I said to myself that I'll do one more disaster movie, but it has to end all disaster movies. So I packed everything in.

"After 'The Day After Tomorrow,' I said, 'I will never do a disaster movie again,' But honest to God, I was fighting [screenwriter] Harald [Kloser]. 'You have to do this!' he said. And then I said, 'OK, let's do it, but let's do it right this time.'"

Emmerich claims his previous epics were restrained by costs, and with "2012's" $200m budget he was able to fully achieve his vision on screen: "Usually I have a scissor in my hand, which says, 'We cannot do this, and we cannot do that ...' This time, I said, 'No scissors'", he said.

Let's face it, there isn't much left to achieve once you have destroyed the earth, unless you take things to a cosmic scale. And Emmerich will be doing that with his proposed trilogy of films based on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.

More news to come! Catch ya' later!
Source: The Geek Files

No comments: