Saturday, March 28, 2009

Raimi Will Have Control Over Next Spider-Man Film


According to The Geek Files, "Director Sam Raimi has admitted he had no creative control over the much-disliked 'Spider-Man 3' - but he has assured fans he will have a far greater say in the web-spinner's next film outing.

Asked why he had originally committed to a franchise where total control was unlikely, he said: "Well, I had never had it. Only now do I have it with [upcoming horror movie] 'Drag Me to Hell' and the new 'Spider-Man' film.

"That's part of the reason I'm so excited about the possibility of making this new 'Spider-Man,' which I'm really hoping I can make. I love the characters still and I've got a lot more creative control than I ever had.

"They really gave me a tremendous amount of control on the first two films, actually. But then there were different opinions on the third film and I didn't really have creative control, so to speak."

What I believe Raimi is getting at about him not having complete control over the third film is how Marvel Entertainment insisted on bringing in the character of Venom as a villain.
Spider-Man is a Marvel comic book and there were reports that Marvel Entertainment chief creative officer Avi Arad (who is also chairman of Marvel Studios) had insisted on Venom being included in the third movie.



“I don’t even want to comment on Venom," Raimi said, "because I know he’s a great character and all the fans love him. I never want to say anything bad about a much-beloved character because usually it turns out that I’m the one that doesn’t understand what makes it great.

"I wouldn't say it was anybody in particular. It was just that a lot of people had different ideas on what the film should be, and I think - good or bad - the film simply represents exactly the working situation where a lot of people have a lot of good ideas about what the film should be.

"The best way for me to move forward on films, I realize...and this was a lesson I had to learn for myself...is that I've gotta be the singular voice that makes the creative choices on the film.

"I love Spider-Man so much that I'd like to continue telling Spider-Man stories but only under those circumstances where I think I can honor him. I don't think I can honor him any other way."

"Spider-Man 4" is due out sometime in 2011 and Raimi has hinted at the villains of Morbius and The Lizard, which you can read in one of my earlier posts.

More news to come! Catch ya' later!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Although I liked the Venom parts of Spider-Man 3, I can definitely see Raimi's point. SM3 already felt crowded with Harry Osborn and Sandman as the villains. then add Gwen Stacy and Peter and MJ's relationship problems--it was just too much I think.

I would like them to go back to just one villain per film (unless we're talking short cameos for others). That way we can see more Spider-Man, because there just wasn't enough Spidey action in the last flick!

Head Hero said...

Exactly! After watching the movie a couple of times I realized Peter doesn't put on the Spider-Man suit until more than 30 minutes into the film.
There was so much in the movie that I think they could have had more Spidey action (especially in the black suit) and had him lose the costume at the end of the film.
Wouldn't it have been an amazing ending when the suit falls on Brock and he becomes Venom?
That would have sold me on Spider-Man 4 so fast.