Wednesday, March 11, 2009

G.I. Joe


Channing Tatum (pictured above), who plays lead soldier Conrad Hauser - codename Duke - in upcoming action movie "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," says the project is akin to "X-Men."

The 28-year-old told the latest issue of Total Film magazine he didn't want to take part in a film that glorified war but accepted the role when he saw it was a fantasy adventure.

He said: "This is an origin story. It's where Duke begins and it's where the Joes as we know them begin. At the start Duke is in the regular army and then he gets introduced to the Joes, who are a special fighting unit.

"I had an issue with the film in the beginning because I thought it was going to be a war movie. But then I read the script and it's more like 'X-Men.' It didn't bring up one single real-world incident or get into any politics. It was just strictly fun. It sounded like Star Wars - there was nothing based in reality."

But director Stephen Sommers begged to differ. He said: "Everything in the movie is based on reality. We have these accelerator suits - full body armour that accelerates all your muscles. Just two weeks ago, I saw that the army's developing them. They think they'll have them perfected in the next three-to-five years. We've taken the technology that will be around in five, 10, 15 years from now and pulled it forward a bit."

"This is a more realistic movie. I mean there'll be a lot of FX because certain things could never be done, but there are no creatures or monsters. I know I did four or five movies like that in a row but this is much more real - real actors on a real set!"



Sienna Miller says she was freaked out by the fan interest in her character in action movie G.I. Joe - and was also at first terrified by the director Stephen Sommers.

Miller plays the gun-toting leather clad Baroness (pictured above). She said she'd previously been unaware of the G.I. Joe franchise - based on a line of action figures.

She said: "I thought it was all about this one guy called Joe who was a G.I.! But I loved the idea of being in a movie that was action-filled and fun and different to anything I'd done before.

"I didn't feel like a big villain until I got my machine gun. But then I thought: 'Right, I can get into this!'

She's also discovered her character already has a fan base: "She's an iconic character. I've been Googling her a lot and seen that a lot of people go to Halloween parties and ComicCon dressed as her. It's terrifying, but being the first person to tackle her on screen is great."

Miller said her skintight outfit with holsters and boots was "so different to how I normally look."

She told this month's Total Film magazine:"That helps when you're creating a character - the more different you look, the more different you feel. I've got green contact lenses too, I don't recognize myself.

"[My character] used to be good but then a series of circumstances caused her to lose faith in life and in a lot of people she trusted.

"It's been confusing at times but I think fundamentally she's a villain, a femme fatale. She's a pretty nasty piece of work."

She added: "Rachel Nichols and I have one of the toughest girl fights I think people will ever see. I mean, it's chains and it's brutal, nasty, dirty fighting - proper boy fighting."

Miller's character is a spy and a baddie who is part of the evil Cobra organization. Nichols' character (pictured below) is Shana O'Hara - codename Scarlett - who is the intelligence expert for the G.I. Joe team.


"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" is released on August 14. Hope this movie turns out well with awesome fights. I mean...there are ninjas in this movie!
More news to come! Catch ya' later!

Source: Geek Files

No comments: