Sunday, June 21, 2009

'Fantastic Four' Reboot Goes Dark

Studio bosses at 20th Century Fox are reportedly planning an "all-new cast" and a "far darker take" on the Fantastic Four in their proposed reboot of the franchise.

The revamp of the superhero series will distance itself from the two earlier films ("Fantastic Four" [2005] and "Rise of the Silver Surfer" [2007]) which starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis as adventurers transformed by cosmic radiation, and Julian McMahon as the nefarious Doctor Doom.

The reboot was among the many projects promoted at the Licensing International Expo 2009 event held in New York earlier this month.

According to Jim Hill Media, which attended the convention, it was revealed that the reboot will "feature an all-new cast as well as a far darker take on this classic Marvel comic."

Who should be cast for the new versions of the Fantastic Four and who should direct the darker adaptation?
More news to come! Catch ya' later!
Source: The Geek Files

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only reason I even watched the two movies was Julian McMahon. You know I'm shallow like that.

I am curious to see how they do this reboot, because no one really takes the Fantastic Four seriously (I never even did before the movies).

Mikey said...

After "Incredible Hulk" and Punisher: War Zone", I was wondering when this series would get the reboot treatment.

I neither hated nor did I love the first 2 movies--they were just okay for me--and I still watch 'em from time to time.

They need to get a good script and a good director that can do sci-fi action and drama--that should be their main focus. Once they get that nailed down, they can keep the old cast as far as I'm concerned--they're all pretty damn good actors, if you give them the right material. Even though it's always been my own personal dream if Sarah Michelle Gellar was cast as Invisible Woman with Joss Whedon writing/directing. Nerdgasm! That's a flick I'd pay $10 to see.

Head Hero said...

Ha! Yeah, I think a lot of girls watched for him (maybe also Chris Evans) and a lot of guys watched for Jessica Alba. What? Nobody thought Michael Chikilis was good looking as the Thing?

The first two "Fantastic Four" movies are forgettable. They didn't do well in the box office and they just aren't as interesting as the other comic adaptations.

I don't think the reboot needs to be "dark," I just think the right script in the hands of the right director can make the film great for fans and newcomers alike.

Joss Whedon would be awesome...but I doubt it. But dang would that be cool.