Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Shadow of the Colossus


"Shadow of the Colossus" is one of those games you never forget playing. Ironically I had heard of it but never played it until a few weeks ago when I bought it on sell. Played it, loved it.

I first saw a friend play it many years ago and then saw it featured in the movie "Reign Over Me." Made me always want to play it. I finally did.



There is a great article over at Kotaku with director Jeremy Roush that explains how the game got into the movie. Check it out.

As for other "Shadow of the Colossus" news, it is being made into a movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "The colossally popular video game is being developed as a feature by producer Kevin Misher, who has set the project up at Sony; the studio's sister division Sony Computer Entertainment is behind the video game.

Justin Marks, the go-to young scribe who's writing '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' for McG at Disney, is attached to pen the script.

The game centers on the character Wander, who along with his horse Agro travels across a Western-style landscape to defeat enemies known as Collosi, with Wander's larger aim to save the girl Mono.

Unlike many other games, Colossus is dominated by a minimalist landscape and lacks ensemble characters; instead, the challenge lies in locating the remote Colossi and uncovering their weaknesses through a series of puzzle-like challenges. Its scenes as well as its soundtrack are regarded by many as highly cinematic.

Romantic elements also pervade the environment, as does a surprise ending to rival some of the better big screen whodunits. Guillermo del Toro has been among those who've called the game the 'Citizen Kane' of the medium."



The only other movie I know of that Justin Marks has written is "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li." I am currently watching this movie to try and compare it with the older "Street Fighter" movie and I find it to be pretty terrible so far.
Even First Showing had the same thoughts I am having on him writing.

"Although I know its got the makings of a good movie, I'm concerned that Justin Marks will come up with something a little too cheesy, a little too Hollywood, especially considering 'Street Fighter' wasn't that great. Hopefully they find a good director who will make sure this stays as true to the game as possible."

More news to come! Catch ya' later!

2 comments:

bandito said...

Awesome game-I'm glad they are making it into a movie. That will have some pretty awesome scenes if they pull it off right-I'm kinda excited to see these Colossi on the big screen. And yeah, the ending is definitely a shocker-but I told you that before you finished it lol

Head Hero said...

Yeah, but I finished it before you spoiled the ending for me.

It will make a good movie if they don't ruin it. All day in my head I have actually been seeing what it might look like as a movie.

Either really good or Wander becomes some kind of pansy hero.
Have to hear more on this!