Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Movie News Mash 13


Terminator Salvation

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger finally talks about the rumors of him making a cameo in the new "Terminator" film.

According to the LA Times, "In a webcast interview, the governor said he may return to the big screen next month in the film 'Terminator Salvation.' Warner Bros. is exploring whether it can insert images of Schwarzenegger from the original Terminator movie into the new film starring Christian Bale, directed by McG and slated for release May 21.

Schwarzenegger told blogger Bill Bradley, who asked some questions of his own and others submitted via Twitter, that he had met with the director and agreed to be in the movie as long as he didn’t have to perform.

'I made it very clear that I don’t have the time to do the movie,' he said. 'I said that I would be willing to be in the movie if they get the technology together, and so they are working on that right now.' In the film, a prequel to the original, Schwarzenegger would be in a brief scene in which the main character encounters him as a 'future Terminator,' according to the governor. 'I think it’s cool to continue on with the franchise ... in case I want to jump over again and get into the acting after I’m through here,' he said. The governor said he did not yet know what other opportunities might present themselves after he completes his term in less than two years, but he also suggested that he might write a book about his time in office."

He might want to return to acting after he is done in office? Will he be in Terminator 6?

Spider-Man 4

Director Sam Raimi spoke to Sci Fi Wire about his thoughts on the new darker tone for superhero movies and how they might influence the upcoming "Spider-Man 4."

“Whatever it is, I think will be a direct result of the best style to bring about our writer’s screenplay. And as soon as I read that, I will know what that is. Edgy could be a direction, but I don’t think it will be applied without really understanding the character’s journey from the inside out first and then figuring out the best way to bring that about.

And then, as far as the other influences, making it different from the other films, … I hope we don’t react to these very good and sometimes bad superhero movies around us. I hope that we just [look] ever deeper into the truth of who Peter Parker really is—as a human being and the unique character, and that we celebrate that, which is a lot of the reason I want to make this next picture. I still believe I have an understanding of Peter Parker as the character that I have not quite put onto the screen yet.

I’m not talking about Tobey Maguire’s performance, which I very much love; I’m talking about my understanding of the character. I feel like sometimes a kid at the piano recital. And I know this piece really well. I know it by heart. And I sometimes get it right, and sometimes I don’t. But I want a chance to really play it the way I feel it. So I’m hoping it’s a really good screenplay and I can express the character through that.”

I think he is saying he is going to make the movie his way. It is good that he has full control over this film as compared to the previous "Spider-Man' film.

Raimi also plans on having talks with actress Kirsten Dunst to make sure she returns to the franchise as Mary Jane. Read more about that at Sci Fi Wire.

"Spider-Man 4" might also be in 3-D. Read this article to learn more about that if you wish.

Sin City 2


According to The Hollywood Reporter, "The sequel rights to 'Sin City,' Frank Miller's popular noir comic, are being shopped around Hollywood, in what appears to be a sign that Dimension Films has lost rights to the property.

The Weinstein Co./Dimension continue to maintain that they hold the rights to any sequel for the Robert Rodriguez film, which grossed $159 million worldwide [and was made for only $45 million] when it came out in 2005.

But producers say they have been shopped the rights by reps for Miller's estate, who they say are seeking a new place to set up a potential follow-up.

If the Weinsteins' option did lapse, it could have happened for reasons ranging from development inactivity to a decision not to pay to re-up. Sequel rights generally require a certain amount of activity within a defined period to remain with the original rights holder, though in many deals those periods stretch much longer than the four years that have elapsed since the original 'Sin City' came out.

After its release, Dimension quickly put a sequel into development, with Angelina Jolie expressing interest in a role. The project, however, has since languished in development."

This might actually be good news. If the rights go to another studio the film might actually get made. Fans are still waiting!

No comments: