Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Metal Gear Solid and Lost Planet


More videogame movies!
I have played the "Metal Gear Solid" series (may I say holy cr*p they are good and already almost likes movies with the ling cinematics), and I have heard of "Lost Planet" and seen the trailer.
Both are good movie material if done well and David Hayter ("X-Men," "Watchmen") is a great writer and can do these games justice.
Especially "Metal Gear Solid" since he has been playing the voice of Solid Snake for the game series for the past 10 years.

Collider had the chance to interview David Hayter. His first "Well" is in the voice of Solid Snake.



Here is a transcript of an interview he had with Omelete about "Lost Planet."

O: What are you working on right now?

DAVID HAYTER: I'm adapting a videogame called "Lost Planet" at Warner Bros.

O: Are videogames the next superheroes?

HAYTER: Not necessarily. I wanted to do it because Avi Arad was a producer I liked a lot. I worked with him on "X-Men" and "Black Widow" and I took it on because I thought it was a great world and it was about energy depletion which I thought was very applicable to our current situation.

O: The videogame, "Lost Planet", that's the one with the ice? I played it awhile ago. It was not one of my favorite videogames.

HAYTER: The thing about it is that…I lived in Japan and it was very Japanese in the way it was told. It's not very linear, everything is extremely ambiguous and you're not really sure what's going on and it wasn't the story so much as that world. The ice planet, what it is was an ice planet that was colonized to a huge extent a hundred years ago. And then, they sort of raised the temperature and these giant insects come out and kill everybody and when we come back seventy-five years later, there are all these kinds of American-style cities on this abandoned ice planet that are just crumbling and falling apart and I thought this was an incredible palette to set a movie in and when I realized I could turn it into a movie about energy and helping the Earth survive, then I started to feel that there was a worthwhile movie there. It's not the same thing as "Watchmen" where I said, "Oh my God, I have to do that story," it was "There's a structure I can really play in and create a story."

And I love "The Thing" and I wanted to do a movie in the snow and thought it would be beautiful and here is a whole planet that is under dispute so what I've tried to do is create a story is where this young guy, kind of a screw-up young pilot, like "An Officer and a Gentleman" or something, becomes "Lawrence of Arabia" and gathers these lost colonies together and takes back his planet.

O: Very much like "Dune".

HAYTER: Yes, very much like "Dune". I don't have any original ideas! (laughs) Fortunately, I work in Hollywood and they don't want any.

More news to come! Catch ya' later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I just now read this one, and the guy agrees with me-Hollywood doesn't care about originality, lol.