Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dark Knight Viral Campiagn

"The Dark Knight" had the biggest and most intense viral campiagn ever. "Cloverfield" had an intense one too, with websites and videos created just to build hype for the movie. But "Dark Knight" had people going out and doing activites in their area to find clues and unlocks puzzles that would lead them further down the path and see the madness of the Joker, who was always one step ahead of the fans.

According to Rope of Silicon, "From massive online generated scavenger hunts to faux Web sites propelling people into the world of Gotham City, marketing firm 42 Entertainment kept fans busy until the film finally hit theaters on its way to what is now a $1+ billion worldwide box-office tally.

Over the course of that time I did my best to keep on top of the many viral sites that sprouted up which resulted in a list of 35 sites, but I am sure I missed a few."

Everything you want to know about the Web sites can be found here, as well as a complete list of them and links to them.

This video shows off some of the wild antics that happened during the frenzy behind the viral campiagn.



Were you involved in any of this awesome insanity? Comment below and say what you did for "The Dark Knight" viral campiagn.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Really interesting - makes me want to watch the dark knight again. Have you seen the new virals flying around for 2012 & Terminator Salvation?

I've posted both of them over the last couple of days if you wanted to do a guest post-swap?

Head Hero said...

Dude, that would be awesome!
The only thing I have seen for "2012" is the teaser trailer and I have seen a couple of videos playing on Skynet Security Systems.
I'm always up for collaborating with fellow movie bloggers.

Unknown said...

Cool, sounds good to me. I'll make a couple of additions to my posts and then let you know - that way you can link to them from your site. Also are you using that new google connect to follow people? Really helps new readers connect with two sites like ours.

Will be in touch!

James

Unknown said...

Rightyho...

All done now, here's the link to the latest post for you to use.

I've also inserted a link to my pearlier post in relation to 2012 but came across some new and more interesting content this morning.

http://jamesjacob77.blogspot.com/2009/02/charlie-frost-2012-web-diaries.html

Give me a heads up before you post it? Thanks again,

James

Unknown said...

Hi there,

both viral post up and running. Link away if you're still interested.

http://jamesjacob77.blogspot.com/

James

Head Hero said...

Will do!
Thanks!
Sorry, the weekend was very busy for me.
I should actually right now be working on an essay n' stuff.
Oh well...
I will definitely work on this today though!