Monday, February 9, 2009

McG Wants Another Shot at Superman


Didn't I just do a post with Mcg?
The "Terminator Salvation" director wishes to have another go at directing a "Superman" film.

According to The Geek Files, "McG was previously attached to the unfilmed 'Batman vs Superman' in 2002, before leaving to take on 'Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.' A year later, he took over from Brett Ratner in the unmade origin film 'Superman: Flyby,' written by 'Lost' creator JJ Abrams, but dropped out after clashes over budget and locations.

Warner Bros is planning to 'reintroduce' the character in a new film that is unconnected to Bryan Singer's 2006 'Superman Returns.'"

In an interview with io9, McG spoke about his vision for Superman.

"I talk to JJ [Abrams] a lot about that. We went through a lot on that whole thing, I don't know. I talk to the DC guys, [President Paul] Levitz is here and I just saw Greg. Food for thought.

"I think it's a great character, I would want to make the character infinitely more dark and complicated, and get away from the big Blue Boy Scout a little bit and get into the alien among us. And how that could be lonely and interesting. It's not that I would make it depressing, I'd would just make it a little tougher... Which I suspect people would respond to.

"We have the glorious 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight,' which to me is an excellent example. I like the Schumacher pictures and everything Burton did but it needed to be reinvented to some degree and I think we're all better for it. We're all happy it went that way at least."

McG's next film is the remake of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

A dark Superman can be interesting if done correctly, but I don't want to see another "Dark Knight." It was good, but Superman is different than Batman. Yes, he is alone among the humans, but he makes friends (and many enemies). Superman is just always seen as the good guy, but there is always a little darkness in everyone.
I say bring in Doomsday and do the death of Superman (like "Superman:Doomsday") thing for real!
More news to come! Catch ya' later!

No comments: