Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Last Airbender

The Last Airbender, based on Nickelodeon's animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender, is set to be released July 2010. M. Night Shyamalan will direct the film.

“It is gonna be really cool (Laughs). I’m at the stage where we have pre-vized the last act of the movie. Because my normal approach to filmmaking is almost like making an animated movie, you take out every shot and analyze everything, it kind of lays out really nicely for a big CGI movie. That is such a helpful thing in the process with all the pre-viz. I feel like I’m making the movie right now. I’m editing it and stuff because doing the pre-viz, if you were here, I could show you the last 30 minutes of The Last Airbender in animatic form. It’s an amazing and emotional experience, just to watch that. This is so exciting. It’s such a different kind of movie that I’m used to making, but yet, we were all kind of born out of Star Wars, and somewhere in there is a desire to return to fantasy, on that level.”

The film was going to be called Avatar, but James Cameron's Avatar movie will be coming out and there was a legal dispute in the name similarity.
The animated show Avatar is very entertaining and I'm hoping the movie doesn't stray too far from its original source.

No comments: