Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Iron Man director Jon Favreau interview

Jon Favreau answered interview questions from Ain't It Cool News. In the interview he talks about Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Avatar, and CGI effects.

On how Iron Man 2 is coming along.

"Justin (Theroux)’s almost done with the first draft of the script. And we’re boarding and been creating animatics for the action sequences. We’re starting to do some location scouting and designing some sets and figuring out how much of it we want to… you know, what techniques we’re going to use. And the best is to mix and match the best of everything. I’m less of a purist to one style or another. I find that you got to make, you have to use the technique that best tells the story for any given moment and also that makes… that isn’t irresponsible with resources because even with a big movie like Iron Man 2 you have to pay attention to every dollar you spend."

On the special effects in Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

"I think that I could borrow a lot from…I think a lot too many decisions were made at the end of the process, we work on this thing for two years but we don’t really lock in on the performances, at least as far as the CGI goes, till the very, very end of the process and you’re bottle necked with your sound mix, your scoring, youre final editing, and youre color timing. And so I found myself up at Skywalker Ranch making millions of decisions and not always feeling confident that I was having the clarity on any given one.

And what I’m learning, what I’m trying to incorporate is more of a, certainly for the action sequences, create a pipeline that’s more similar to a CGI film like a Pixar film or even like Avatar. Where you can work on and refine the action stuff before you even begin shooting, and let the action and the performances be serviced by the plates and not back into a performance by the plates that you’ve shot. And so I was very, very lucky to have gotten somebody to collaborate with me on that stuff and teach me a little bit more of the animation approach to action."

On the special addition of a new team member who Favreau will collaborate on with effects.

"I had Genndy Tartakovsky. I’ve always liked Samurai Jack and I loved his Clone Wars vignettes that he did. I’ve always liked his work, a lot. And I had met with him, we had lunch together just because I enjoy his stuff and I wanted to meet him. I really dig his sense of humor and his sense of rhythm, and the way that he acknowledges the same cinematic masters that I really love the work of, like (Akira) Kurosawa and (Sergio) Leone. And he finds a way to pastiche it without ever undermining the stakes or the reality of the tension that’s created in his action sequences.

Now clearly his stuff is a bit broad for a live action film but I love his rhythm and his attention to detail. It has a real comic booky feel but yet it feels cinematic and not gimmicky and even his cartoons feel… there’s an elegance to them.

So in this process as we’re storyboarding and designing sequences he and his team have come in and I’m working with them and they’re working on collaborating with us on the project and that’s a new wrinkle and it allows me… I feel like I’m really learning a lot from collaborating with this guy.

And then he has the original Iron Man film to draw from and he also has a pretty deep knowledge of Marvel. So, he is transitioning into live-action features, which I have no doubt in collaborating with him that he will. There’s a transition that he’s making that hopefully I could be helpful with and at the same time as I move from dialogue and character and story-driven filmmaking I’m able to understand the way to approach action in an interesting and elegant way. So, it’s been a very, very fun collaboration so far."

On the upcoming Avengers movie.

"So, we were really paying attention, of course now it becomes more and more difficult because we’re weaving… it has to culminate in the Avengers. Which, although I won’t be directing it, I’ll be involved with it as an executive producer and I would feel really disappointed if what good will we’ve curried from Iron Man 1 and hopefully 2, is not lived up to in the Avengers.

And I’m going to get a little more involved now with what goes on with the other movies. I’m very excited about Kenneth Branagh, I can’t wait to see his take on Thor and we’re really looking at the Cap stuff, very closely.

For one because we put the shield in there and Tony’s legacy… Howard Stark’s legacy somehow is related to… there’s some relationship between Tony’s father and what was going on in World War II, in the Marvel Universe, and S.H.I.E.L.D., so we’re trying to lay some pipe here so that when it all happens it feels somewhat inevitable.

But there are a lot of tonal challenges that are going to take place, more so in the other films I think. Thor has a tremendously… that’s going to be the most difficult one to integrate into this reality. And if it can be properly done then you get a great version of Avengers. If not, Avengers is going to seem like Roger Rabbit with different cartoon characters from different worlds, you have Betty Boop next to Daffy Duck next to Donald Duck you know. (laughs)

And I don’t know that’s the experience it should feel like, it should feel like a unified Marvel Universe. And I know that the Marvel guys are very, very vigilant about that."

To read more sweetness from Jon Favreau, go to aintitcool now and read the entire interview. It has more tidbits on Avatar, Iron Man 2, and The Avengers.
More news to come! Catch ya' later!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Agree with what he's saying about Thor. They'll have to try really hard to make that work.

But I have faith - especially in Kenneth Branagh!

Head Hero said...

Here, here!
I concur!
Pretty sure in Avengers there will be some talk of Thor's powers.
Iron Man will try to figure it out and Thor will just say, "Chill. it is Norse God magic."
Or something like that...
:]