Thursday, October 16, 2008

Director of Punisher: War Zone Interview

Comicus[in Italian, scroll all the way down for English] got an extensive and exclusive interview with Lexi Alexander, director of the upcoming (and very anticipated) reboot of the Punisher series, Punisher: War Zone.

“I read the ‘Punisher’ comic books before I made the decision to do this, because that is the only way you can learn about an existing comic book character’s essence,” Alexander said in the Comicus interview. “Frank Castle knows only two sides: Good and Evil. There is no grey zone for him. If you are evil now, or have been in the past, or planning to be in the future, you are going to die. Period.

“The great thing about a reboot is, you can learn from the past if you care enough. I obviously watched the previous version, but I didn’t critique it and just crossed my fingers that I can do it better. I spent weeks on the computer, reading reviews and fan reactions about it. It was pretty damn clear what the fans liked and didn’t like about it. I basically had a road map for this reboot written by proper Punisher fans and the headline was. ‘Don’t go to Tampa!’ [Tampa being the setting for the previous film]”

Meanwhile, Alexander had nothing but praise for the film’s star, Ray Stevenson. “He is a real actor and you will experience this character with all his pain, the brutality of what happened in his past and certainly a soul that is struggling to see the light through his own darkness. Ray can portray all of that without ever saying a word and those are my favorite scenes to watch, even now after I’ve seen this film a few thousand times.”

Lexi seems to know her stuff about the Punisher.

Punisher: War Zone comes out Dec. 5, 2008.

No comments: