Thursday, January 7, 2010

'Zombieland' Writers Add 'G.I. Joe 2' To Their List

Hot on the tails of official confirmation that "Zombieland" screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick would be writing Marvel's "Deadpool" adaptation, it looks like the in-demand writing duo have found their next high profile project.

IESB nabbed the exclusive news that Reese and Wernick are the two writers who will be penning the upcoming sequel to last summer's "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra."

For those keeping count, that means that Reese and Wernick now have "G.I. Joe 2," "Zombieland 2" and "Deadpool" in their workload.

We’ve known for awhile that "G.I. Joe 2" was in the pipeline. The first film made $300 million at the worldwide box office and the film’s story was obviously geared toward establishing a franchise. So what will Reese and Wernick bring to the table?

Hopefully they'll bring the some fresh humor to a franchise that desperately needs some. I understand that the film was meant to be more of a translation of the 80's cartoon series than a serious action film, but the writing was just bland, not to mention the terribly low quality special effects (which shouldn't be seen in a blockbuster film). There were a couple of cool action sequences involving Snake Eyes, but I was hardly blown away.

Of course, one positive thing going for "G.I. Joe 2": no pesky writer’s strike to get in the way of the script drafting process this time. People say the 2007 strike was a heavy blow to the films being developed at that time for Summer ‘09. Guess we’ll see soon enough just how true that is.

Reese and Wernick might be the right guys to mess with the tone of the sequel though, and if they've been hired for "Deadpool," then they certainly know how to write for cherished characters and action set pieces.

And knowing is half the battle!
More news to come! Catch ya' later!
Sources: Screen Rant, First Showing

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Awesome. Man, they keep scoring these huge gigs somehow. I didn't like Rise of Cobra, so I was considering boycotting G.I.Joe 2. But now that they're on board, I'm definitely interested. The next one definitely needs better-written characters and dialogue..and fewer flashbacks hopefully.

Head Hero said...

I can only assume their will be less flashbacks as the characters have been fully introduced.

But now those characters just need to be more fleshed out.

Hopefully this popular writing duo can do that as well as get "Zombieland 2" and "Deadpool" out.

All movies I will wind up seeing (with "G.I. Joe 2" being the only 'if').