Saturday, September 13, 2008

Summer Movies of '08

I seriously started this blog late because now is a kind of lull in movies that attract my attention. The summer was a complete success in my mind, so I shall just start with those since a lot of those films should be coming out on DVD soon

Iron Man - One of the best adaptations from comic-to-film I have seen so far. Great acting plus adding a realistic touch to the superhero. It is also the start of the Avengers franchise (hoped you stayed after the credits). The only downfall to the film is that you don't really get to see Iron Man that much, but then again, you do get a lot of Robert Downey, Jr. 8.5/10

The Incredible Hulk - Better than the first movie, and that is all that I need to like it. Stays truer to the comics than the first film also. Also brings in the 2nd film going into the Avengers franchise (this one you didn't have to sit through the credits for). All-in-all, the movie was good except for the end. The villain just didn't really live up to the hype and there seem to be a lot of questions unanswered, like what is up with General Ross aiding destruction and why can't Bruce Banner and Betty Ross get it on? 7.8/10

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Sequel to the awesome fantasy film by Guillermo del Toro. How can this movie not be good if del Toro turned down directing such films as Halo, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and I Am Legend just so he could make this movie? And the film has such a good transition from the last one, and it also begs to make a 3rd. If you haven't seen any of the Hellboy movies, you need to go see them both now. Plus, Seth MacFarlane as the voice of Johann Krauss, come on people....hilarious! 8.8/10

Speed Racer - I have felt a lot of hate for this film, but I enjoyed it. First of all, it is supposed to be 'out there'. Dare I even say it was meant to be silly and campy. Watching the film may give you a seizure (not really folks) but you will be dazzled by almost every special effect out there. It does have moments that I don't think should have been in there for children (thought the censor beep in the film gave some kids the giggles), but in the end children will enjoy the movie more than adults because it feels like a big cartoon. I would say Death Race is the adult equivalent for this movie. 7.1/10

WALL-E - Some people ask, "Why robots?" I ask why not? The film starts off slow, yes, I agree, but the adorableness of WALL-E and his daily activities makes up for that fact. The story progresses along at a snail's pace at first. The only thing you understand is that WALL-E is smitten with another robot named EVE. But once you get the general idea of the plot, you will find yourself rooting for the little robots and wanting to have a little WALL-E of your own. PIXAR, you rock! Film great for all ages! 9.0/10

The Dark Knight - If you still haven't seen the movie, you may be 1 out of 5 in the country. But still, yeah, it was awesome. Picking up about a year after Batman Begins, we start right off with Batman and his epicness. Chris Nolan is definitely going in the right direction with his rebooted Batman franchise, but now I only question what will be next. The film had superb acting and a very deep plot even for a film based on a comic. It wasn't just the hero-meet-villain set-up, it was totally different. Felt like the Godfather at certain points with all the mafia stuff, but that is what made it so good. Sit through the long film and afterwards ask yourself, "What is gonna happen with the Joker now that Heath Ledger is dead?" Kids like Batman, but they may find this film a bit frightening....especially Two-Face. 9.5/10 "Why so serious?"

Sex and the City - Yes, I did see this movie, and yes, I am a man. Yes, I did watch all the episodes of the show. So yes, I know what I am talking about. The show was very realistic when it came to things regarding sex, and the film stuck with that, but the film is not the show. With the show, you didn't know what was gonna happen next. With the movie, you kind of know what is going to happen, there are a few twists, but the film doesn't really leave you in suspense. The film is more about love than sex, but I see that as a stepping stone because the characters have moved on and matured. I mean, are we all supposed to be fascinated about sex forever or aren't we all gonna settle down sometime in the future. The movie seriously could have just been another season on HBO in my opinion. But if you liked the show, you will enjoy the movie. 6.8/10

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - I have read all seven novels in the Chronicles of Narnia and I wasn't really expecting them to make this film. Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe yeah because that is famous, but Prince Caspian.....it was a surprise to me. I suppose I liked it. The mood in this film is a lot darker than in the first, and that was awesome, because the movie needed that dark undertone. The other undertone is of course all the Christian religiousness, but the movie is still good if you don't care for that. Epic fights and great effects, the film makes me excited for when Voyage of the Dawn Treader comes out. 7.7/10

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Don't be hatin'. I enjoyed the movie, and I have heard a lot of negative stuff about it, but then I found out some of these people never saw the original films. Look here folks, the original trilogy was a spoof on adventure films from the 1930's. All the adventuring was just silly nonsense with some cool death scenes. The new movie is a spoof on the 1950's, so that is why there is a lot more sci-fi element to this film. And also why the baddies are Russians instead of Nazis. And what dud this film deliver? Silly nonsense with some cool death scenes! If you were to watch the original films and then Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, you would feel the similarity! So enjoy the movie, but you might be afraid of ants for a while.... 8.2/10



This was all awhile ago, so there might actually have been more movies I saw. I will work up some more reviews. Otherwise, I will also update on films coming out and films that have been out for some time that I just recently saw.
Catch ya' later!

No comments: