Thursday, September 25, 2008

Max Payne

Director John Moore is pissed. He wanted Max Payne to be PG-13, which is a more profitable rating for a film (such as Dark Knight). The MPAA has given Max Payne a rating of R, and that did not make Mr. Moore happy at all.
According to the Hollywood News, this is his rant.

“The Motion Picture Association of America gave THE DARK KNIGHT a PG-13 rating and basically sucked Warner Bros.’ c*ck. The MPAA will never publish the rules. They’ll never tell a director, Here’s what’s going to get you an R, Here’s what’s going to get you a PG-13. People might think that’s impossible, but let me tell you, if I’m making a TV beer commercial, I know exactly what the rules are. The MPAA changes their rules willy-nilly and it depends on who’s seeing your actual movie at the time. It’s very difficult to get a hold on what’s acceptable. The only thing you can use is current standards. So I go and see The Dark Knight and I say, “Gee, that’s pretty gnarly for PG-13,” but I felt good about Max Payne after coming out of the theater. I thought Max wasn’t going to have a problem. And that’s not the case."

The rating may indeed hurt the film's box office profits, but my once dashed hopes for this film have risen since I saw the beginning of it. Watch and see for yourselves.

No comments: