Monday, September 15, 2008

Summer Movies of '08 that I forgot

More movies from the summer that I forgot to mention. Not because they weren't good. it is just that my memory falters sometimes.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan - Some may expect Adam Sandler to try different humor, but he sticks with what he is used to. A lot of physical humor and senselessness. Also, who doesn't love Nick Swardson, Roy Schnieder, and John Turturro (who have all been in previous Sandler movies like Anger Management, though John Turturro somehow showed up in Transformers...)? Zohan delas with the Israelis and Arabs a lot and just pokes fun at accents and shampoo. The movie is not meant to be taken seriously, folks. It is meant for you to sit back and laugh, albeit only a few times. In the end, it is worth at least one watching. 6.5/10

Kung Fu Panda - I have to say, I watched this movie twice. It was enjoyable, with great animation and lots of funny dialogue. Not seeing Jack Black actually works since I find his voice to be funnier than his facial expressions. The fight scenes are just amazing. You may be thinking Matrix when you see them, but since it is all CGI, the filmmakers could definitely bend their imagination into the fight scenes. The story is interesting, about Po, the panda, being the dragon warrior, the one to save them all. The movie will leave you wanting to see more action and more of Jack Black pretending to get beat up! 8.3/10 Skadoosh!

Hancock - I saw the trailer and couldn't wait to see this superhero movie. And watching it for the first hour, hour and a half, it is truly enjoyable. Good jokes with good effects and lots of pure fun. Then the story takes a nosedive into a totally different movie that loses the laughs and loses the plot. The characters change from what they were in the beginning to what they were in the end. It is a superhero movie with a villain tagged on as a last thought. In the end, not my favorite of the hero movies of the summer. 5.7/10


More movies will be on the way. I am trying to get other people involved in this as well. I am one person and cannot see every movie out there. There are also some movies I will not end up seeing because they don't...well....interest me. So people, if you have seen a movie and there is no review for it here, then I will be happy to put up Guest Reviews. It is time to get involved!

No comments: