Monday, May 11, 2009

Sam Worthington on Clash of the Titans


The original "Clash of the Titans" was released in 1981 and featured an array of mythical beasts, including snake-haired Medusa, which were all brought to life by stop-motion animation wizard Ray Harryhausen.

Harryhausen was also involved in creating the dinosaurs for the 1966 prehistoric epic One Million Years BC, starring Raquel Welch, which was also filmed on the rugged volcanic terrain of Tenerife.

Filming has started in London on the new version of "Clash of the Titans."

It stars "Terminator Salvation" actor Sam Worthington as Perseus, alongside Danny Huston as Poseidon; Liam Neeson as Zeus; Ralph Fiennes as Hades; Izabella Miko as Athena; Mads Mikkelson as Draco, leader of the Praetorian Guard; Gemma Arterton as the nymph Io; Jason Flemyng as Acrisius, a former king transformed into a hideous beast; and Alexa Davolos as princess Andromeda.

The director is Louis Leterrier, who previously brought another titan to the big screen - "The Incredible Hulk" in 2008.

Worthington told IESB: "We've been filming it for two weeks now and I'm more bruised and battered than I was on Terminator. We've taken on Medusa, we've taken on the witches, and then we just kill everything else. It's a bit more brutal.

"There's no togas, or there's very few togas. I said, "I'm not wearing a toga. Bugger that!" You can't look manly in a toga, I'm sorry. I couldn't do it. Louis [Leterrier] is a very good action director, so it's going to be exciting and big, and my job is to bring the heart."

In the original 1981 film, Harry Hamlin played Perseus - in a toga, as seen in the image below from the film, in which he is holding the severed head of Medusa.

Asked how he became involved with the project, Worthington said: "Who wouldn't want to run around in a dress and kill the Kraken? That's the appeal.

"I read the script and was jumping around the bed with a ruler, and my girlfriend was looking at me like I'm nuts. She said, 'This is the one you're going to do, isn't it?,' and I said, 'It's deep, trust me.'

"But, I had a take on it that I gave (director) Louis Leterrier and the studio, and they were mad enough to let me loose and see if it can work."

More news to come! Catch ya' later!
Sources: The Geek Files (1,2)

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I am totally loving the cast for this one. And the director--I dug The Incredible Hulk flick, so I'm hoping for some crazy action. I cannot wait.

Head Hero said...

"Incredible Hulk" was awesome and I am disappointed a sequel has yet to be greenlit.

The casting is indeed lovable and I can't wait to see how Liam Neeson performs as Zeus. Will probably be epic.