Thursday, May 7, 2009

Jude Law Defends Sherlock Holmes


According to The Geek Files, "Jude Law, who plays Dr Watson in the new 'Sherlock Holmes' movie, has explained the film's different portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic characters.

Guy Ritchie's film shows Holmes and Watson catching crooks with bare-fisted boxing, sword-fighting and martial arts. Holmes retains his traditional traits of sleuthing and disguises, but no longer snorts cocaine - in order to gain a family-friendly rating.

Law, who read Conan Doyle's works in preparation for his role, defended the changes. He told USA Today: 'The physicality, the bare-knuckle fighting, the martial arts are all hinted at in the books. We just hold a magnifying glass over them.

'A word that Conan Doyle uses an awful lot is 'apprehended.' As in, 'Holmes and Watson apprehend the villain.' We get to show the apprehension.'

Producer Lionel Wigram, who wrote a Sherlock Holmes graphic novel on which the movie was based, had earlier told ComingSoon: 'A lot of the action that Conan Doyle refers to was actually made manifest in our film. Very often, Sherlock Holmes will say things like, 'If I hadn't been such an expert short stick person, I would have died in that' or he would refer to a fight off screen. We're putting those fights on screen.'

Wigram told USA Today: 'Sherlock was perceived as stuffy and old-fashioned. I thought the TV ones (including, most recently, those starring Jeremy Brett and Rupert Everett) were wonderful, but in a Masterpiece Theatre kind of way. It felt like there was a great opportunity to do something bigger than that.

'Guy is a great filmmaker. He reinvented a whole genre, the gangster genre. That is a great achievement. I used to pitch this as a Guy Ritchie version of a Sherlock Holmes movie. There was never any question that he would be an absolutely perfect fit for it'

Ritchie said: 'I was a Holmes fan when I was a child. They are the first stories I remember. I also liked the approach the studio was coming at. To me, it was the perfect segue from small independent films to something more ambitious and quintessentially English. So I've got my cake and I can eat it.'"

The first trailer for the film is expected to be attached to "Terminator Salvation," with the film itself due out on December 25.

More news to come! Catch ya' later!

No comments: