Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reviews, Reviews and Reviews

Was finally able to watch some movies over this past weekend thanks to the awesomeness that is summer. Some were good, others were slightly entertaining.

Star Trek -The new "Star Trek" film was needed. The franchise had floundered and lost its way in mediocre television shows and films. While I am not a Trekkie (or Trekker) and do not know much about the original shows or films, I am surrounded by people who do. Finally seeing the film for myself made me excited to learn about all the past history of the franchise, but those who know it like the back of their hand explained almost everything to me.

The film follows more special effects battles along the lines of "Star Wars," but creates a new timeline for the original characters of "Star Trek" to live in (and for the writers to freely create something new). I believe this film will overall satisfy fans of "Star Trek" and people seeing it for the first time.

8.5/10

Fanboys- On the subject of geekiness and "Star Trek," "Fanboys" is an interesting take on the ultimate "Star Wars" fans, but it feels a little late. True, this movie was supposed to come out a few years ago or so (major delays from the studio) but if you love "Star Wars" it will still feel fresh and exciting. Lots of awesome cameos and many spoofs on the original trilogy will keeps fans happy.

"Trek" does play a role in this film as the opposite of "Star Wars." I don't know for myself whether "Trek" and "Wars" fans really do try to kill each other (I know many people who are fans of both), but the ensuing battles in the film are quite funny to watch. Strictly a film for geek fans though, others might not enjoy if not in the intended target audience.

6.8/10



Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li - Don't see this movie. If you don't like the "Street Fighter" video game series, don't see it. If you do, don't see it. Terrible acting, terrible fighting, terrible effects, terrible story and terrible acting (twice for its terribleness).

I actually enjoy the original "Street Fighter" movie due to its awesome cheese factor, but this movie was serious and failed. The fights were short and dumb. The spinning bird kick move (famous from the game) is literally a blur and looks terrible (TERRIBLE!). And Kristin Kreuk...yeah....no.

3.3/10

Monsters vs. Aliens - Dreamworks was fine with its original "Shrek" (and the second one too) and "Kung Fu Panda". This film starts off fine with the introduction of the characters, but the second half of the film (taking place on a spaceship) loses some of its thunder as the character Susan has an entire personality change due to a pep talk.

I may be biased on this because that is a flaw that always ticks me off whenever I see it in a movie. A single pep talk does not change a person's personality so much that they act completely different in the next scene. While the movie delivered on visuals, it lacked on characters and plot. A sequel should not be made as the characters will not be as interesting the second time around.

6.2/10

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I did notice a lot of Star Wars-iness in the new Star Trek film. One could argue it's basic Hero's Journey/Mythology stuff, but there did seem to be quite a bit scattered throughout the flick, though.

The destruction of the planets is the dead giveaway. I mean, can you say "Death Star", boys and girls?

Oh, and I'm dying to see Fanboys. I've been waiting for a few years now. When it hit theatres, it never showed up anywhere near me, so I was very upset. That's why we have DVD, I guess.

Head Hero said...

George Lucas might have been influenced by "Star Trek" when he initially created "Star Wars."

Now this new "Star Trek" is definitely influenced by the original "Star Wars" film (except that it's "Star Trek").

"Fanboys" didn't do well because it had such a limited release. But for being a "Wars" fan, it is a must see.
Comes out on DVD 5/19/09!