This is some extremely unexpected news and I'm waiting to see if something official comes out soon, but here's the lowdown from First Showing.
Right out of left field comes some disappointing news for all you Jason Vorhees fans.
Bloody-Disgusting had their attention called to an exchange on Twitter between a fellow movie lover and Platinum Dunes producer Brad Fuller. When asked how the "Friday the 13th" sequel was coming along, Fuller simply said: "It is dead - not happening."
Eager to follow-up on this surprising news, Bloody Disgusting contacted Fuller who confirmed, "Right now there is no movement on 'Friday 13th: Part 2.'" Some shocking news for a film that was supposed to be released in August this year, but now appears to be dead in the waters of Crystal Lake.
The sequel to the "Friday the 13th" remake penned by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift was going to be shot in 3D and feature the return of Derek Mears as the new Jason Voorhees, but now who knows if we'll ever see a follow-up.
Fuller followed up on Twitter that explaining the dead stop is a "long story" and: "It's not my call. I would drop everything and make it today if they wanted it."
Halt on this production definitely seems strange considering the movie made $91 million worldwide on a $19 million budget, not to mention, Platinum Dunes other upcoming remake of "Nightmare on Elm Street" seems to be tracking very well so far.
Again - this just came out of nowhere and I guess should be have been expected since no news has come out about this film since last year.
UPDATE: In going by exactly what the comments to this post predict, Brad Fuller spoke more with Bloody Disgusting and said that basically if the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" does well then a "Friday the 13th" sequel will get looked at again.
More news to come! Catch ya' later!