Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ryan Reynolds on 'Deadpool' and 'Green Lantern'

Two big comic book movies I’m looking forward to are "Green Lantern" and "Deadpool." These movies will both be pushing the popular and fast-growing genre of comic book adaptations in new directions and both are attempting to bring a relatively unknown character to mainstream audiences.

In a recent interview with MTV News, Reynolds opened up about how excited he is for both projects.

"This is a difficult industry to get anything made, let alone a passion project," Reynolds said in the interview, "so when you see people understand what your vision is and come aligned with that common goal, it's pretty cool.

"I'm including all the creative types that are actually involved with 'Deadpool' and 'Green Lantern,' because those guys want to make an authentic movie, and that's something a few years ago studios disregarded."

MTV News directly asked Reynolds how he felt on Wade Wilson/Deadpool's treatment in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and whether the character in the film matched what he wanted to see.

“Yeah, I think the initial moment of the sequences that involve Wade, I think it did. It’s always difficult to fully embrace something that isn’t perfect, in terms of staying true to the source material. So it was a little bit frustrating. I really wanted to play Wade, and I really wanted to play Deadpool, and it would kill me to see someone else play them.
"I had a kind of ham-fisted attitude that it had to be perfect, but it doesn’t. The movie’s called 'Wolverine,' it’s not called 'Deadpool' or 'Wade.' I thought it was a nice little wink and tip of the hat to things to come. Finding the tone of that character alone is such a difficult prospect.

"I’ve been in so many meetings lately about 'Deadpool' and meeting all these writers. Everyone is always looking for that one line, 'What is that character?' and for me it’s kind of like, 'There’s a guy, and he’s in a highly militarized comedic fame spiral.'

"That’s not an easy thing to write — an entire screenplay, let alone a franchise. I had a blast playing Wade. Every line I had in that was stuff I thought he would say. It wasn’t something that a writer said to me. It was fun to really create that character, including everything he spits out of his awful mouth.”

MTV News also asked Reynolds about how he felt about the "Green Lantern" film so far and how he enjoyed working with director Martin Campbell.
"I think, seeing the prototypes for the Green Lantern costumes was a huge moment. It was a moment when I was like, 'This is happening, and it's happening in the right way.' That's a pretty cool, definitive moment for me.

"I've known about Green Lantern my whole life, but I've never really followed it before. I fell in love with the character when I met with [director] Martin Campbell. When I sat down with him, I really got what it is that this guy is all about.

"When you have a guy like Martin Campbell, part of his charm is that he has ba--s of titanium, and the other part is that he's slightly crazy, and you have to be to take on something with the scope of Green Lantern. He's less of the director and more of a general. He just really knows strategies, he knows the intricacies, and his attention to detail! It's infectious.

"I sat down with him, and I could not even believe what he was saying. When I went to the meeting, I was entirely cynical. I thought, 'What the hell, I'll see what they have to say,' and I left the room with a completely different perspective."

Are you excited for either of this films (or both)?

"Green Lantern" is scheduled to open in theaters June 17, 2011. "Deadpool" is expected to open sometime that year as well, but can Reynolds do both films for 2011...?
More news to come! Catch ya' later!
Sources: Screen Rant, The Geek Files, First Showing

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I am totally excited for both flicks. I can't wait to see what they'll do. As long as they don't screw em up.

I love that first pic of Ryan Reynolds as GL. That's awesome!

Head Hero said...

Reynolds seems to be a fan of both characters, so hopefully he will be allowed some input into the character development (especially with Deadpool).

And yes, someone out there is extremely good with Photoshop.